Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Surgery

This little girl had surgery yesterday. The hardest day ever. She did amazing. It looks fantastic. Dr. Warnock is a miracle worker I tell you.

Here is a little of what happened. Sunday night:
Packed our bag with absolutely everything we would need.
Midnight: No more formula
3:30 am: No more breastmilk
4:30: Pedialite
Let me just say that I didn't get much sleep that night. Not because of Presley but because of all the emotions.
5:00 am: left for the hospital
6:00 am: We registered her and gave all of our medical history
6:45 am: The nurse came to get us to weigh and measure her. We were taken back to a waiting room where we dressed her in her gown (which drown her by the way). The surgeon came in and told us the procedure would be about 3 hours and to answer any questions.
7:15 am: The anesthesiologist came in and told us the would put her under first with gas and then start an IV. He answered any questions. He was seriously so so nice and that calmed my nerves a little. Just a little though. Then he took us back to the OR. That is where we had to part. I think I did pretty good. I held it together until I left the room. I broke down and just let Darren hold me for a little bit until I could calm down.
Throughout surgery I would lose it for a minute and then settle back down. Luckily Darren's stepmom, Julie came and sat with us. That was a huge help. It definitely kept my mind off of things.
9:15 am: The nurse calls from the OR and informs us that everything is going great but she isn't sure how much longer it would be.
9:30 am: My dad came by and told me that he was able to go into the OR and see her. He said she was doing great and that it would probably be about a half hour longer.
10:00 am: Dr. Warnock came and told us that things went really smoothly and he was really happy with the outcome. Like a said, a miracle worker.
10:15 am: I was called back into recovery. At this point only one parent was aloud back there. After about 15 minutes we were able to go to her room and meet up with Darren. She came out of the anesthesia really really well. A lot of babies scream and cry and she really just slept.
This is what I saw when I went back to recovery

It just about broke my heart to see her like that. She is pretty swollen and will be for a few weeks. She is doing so well and is recovering great. All of the nurses were fantastic. It is such a blessing to be so close to Primary Childrens. We had to stay overnight which is standard for her procedure. A long night for me with all of the monitors beeping and what not. We had Darren's dad and his wife Julie come by and my mom and dad brought our kids over to see her. They did really well with seeing her, I thought they might be alarmed by everything, but they weren't.
She has what is called a Logan Bow around her mouth. That pretty much squishes her face together so when she cries or yawns or anything it keeps all of the tension off of her stitches. She has to have it on anywhere from 4-6 weeks depending on how she heals. She also has braces on her arms to prevent her from touching her face, specifically her mouth. She will probably have to wear those for 4-6 weeks as well. Here are just a few pictures from the hospital.
The braces are awful. She does ok with them, but is has to be frustrating not being able to move your arms. So So Sad.
Proud papa. I don't know how I would have gotten through it without him.
Brinley is such an amazing sister, She couldn't wait to hold her.Oh how I love this girl
We just want to thank everybody for your prayers on our behalf. We know they were heard and are so grateful to all of you!

11 comments:

Stacy and Justin said...

So glad it went well, you are amazing! Seriously let us know what we can do to help out!

Nichole W. said...

Poor little sweetheart! What an ordeal for all of you! I'm glad that it went well.

The Burrups said...

That must have been soooo hard. I cried just reading about it. I am glad that the surgery went well and i am so excited to meet her someday, hopefully soon.Thanks so much for the carseat cover! I love it! Everywhere i go i get compliments on it and am asked where i got it.we love and miss you guys!
jen

The Burrups said...

aww you guys I cant imagine how hard that must have been, we are just glad everything went well and we are thinking about you guys so much. we love you and miss you and the kids so much!!

will, jess, gabbie, kensie, cambrie... said...

wow, what a story. glad to see she is doing well though. i know that has to be frustrating. those braces have to be uncomfortable. i bet she is such a sweetheart though, and quite a trooper!

Ryan and Jess said...

I'm so thankful for wonderful doctors. What a wonderful, strong family you are. I miss that little Brin and can't wait to meet little miss presley. Love you Ash.

Jessie said...

Oh bless your heart! That had to of been so hard! On a happy note, the surgery looks like it turned out really good!! Hope you guys are doing well!!

ATT Hickson said...

Oh Ashley. How this brought back memories of my day with Tanner two years ago. My heart just aches for you - but isn't it wonderful that we live in this time of great medical miracles?! Tanner did great with the arm braces... they adjust so quickly when they are young. Call me if you need someone to talk to. I will send up prayers for you and your sweet Presley. Love you!

Trevor and Liz Covington said...

I'm so glad everything went well. Its pretty amazing the things we can get through when we have to!! Presley looks beautiful!! Loveya, liz

The Bangerter Family said...

Oh what an emotional day that must have been! I am so happy that everything went well. I hope the recovery has continued to go smoothly.

Rebekah said...

It looks so much better already. It made me cry to see those pictures and get a glimpse of all you go through. What a strong family you have. What a blessing though to have modern day medicine so she can be healed. We are so blessed to live today. Thanks for sharing that with us!